- Posted by: Andrea Gall
Clinical Coder/Senior Clinical Coder/HIM Coder
Health Information Services and ICT/ Clinical Coding Unit
Calvary Mater Newcastle
- Progress with purpose at one of Australia’s largest health care providers
- Get ahead with salary packaging, benefits and professional development in a supportive team environment
- Classification: Administration Officer Level 4 – Health Services Manager Level 1 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
- Remuneration: $33.45 - $46.60 per hour
- Permanent Full Time
About the role
The Clinical Coding Team at the Calvary Mater Newcastle Hospital is a happy and appropriately resourced unit responsible for reviewing and interpreting the health care records of discharged patients to assign accurate coding. Records are in both electronic and paper format, and progressively moving towards more information being available electronically with plans to implement the State Single Digital EMR. Our Coders work in accordance with the National Coding Standards, other appropriate guidelines and local coding rules. The Coding Unit supports timely and accurate reporting of activity and casemix data to assist management and hospital funding as well as supporting research and audit activities when required.
- Actively participates in HNE Local Health District Coder Meetings to share ideas and determine the best solutions to difficult coding questions.
- Identifies own learning needs and discusses with Manager.
- Demonstrated an understanding of risk management processes and systems.
- Privacy principles are upheld in all work related matters with clinical coders having access to detailed personal and health related information which must never be divulged unless in the course of confidential and appropriate work related discussion. Patient confidentiality must be protected at all times.
What you bring
- Demonstrated Computer Literacy and knowledge of hospital based information systems
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all work matters and to communicate effectively
- Proven ability to work unsupervised, as a member of a team and meet throughput targets
- Knowledge of the Australian Coding Standards and able to apply these
- A desire to join a team committed to the care of others in a mission based organisation
We area accepting applications from Clinical Coder from base grade year 1 to Senior Clinical Coder. Please read the below position descriptions.
Clinical Coder - AO4-AO6 Clinical Coder.docx
Senior Clinical Coder - HSM1 Senior Clinical Coders.docx
For further information please contact Heather Alexander - Manager Health Information Services and Information Technology, on (02) 401 44824 or Heather.Alexander@calvarymater.org.au
The Calvary Mater Newcastle is an Affiliated Health Organisation providing services to both public and private patients primarily from the Hunter New England area. Current employees of NSW Health can request to have various leave entitlement balances transferred to Calvary Mater Newcastle on commencement. Leave types may include but not limited to Long Service Leave, Annual Leave and Sick Leave. Applicants are encouraged to discuss this with the Convenor for further information.
- NFP salary packaging benefits, discounted health insurance and gym memberships
- Paid parental leave
- Training, development pathways and career opportunities
- Flexible hours that make sense for you
- As part of the application process, you will be required to complete pre-employment checks which may include, but is not limited to reference checks, work rights, criminal history check, NDIS/WWCC/WWVP checks, and a health evaluation to ensure suitability for the role
- Calvary has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all workers. You will also be required to provide evidence of other immunisation as required for your role including influenza, tuberculosis screening, hepatitis, diphtheria, tetanus, varicella.