- Posted by: Andrea Gall
The position of Director, Health Information Operations will:
Manage and accept responsibility for the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of the provision of health information services for CHQ HHS including Clinical Records management, clinical data management, Corporate Record management, Clinical Coding, and Health Information Access services in both a paper and digital environment.
Your Role and Responsibilities
You will fulfil the accountabilities of this role in accordance with the CHQ HHS core values and as outlined below.
- Lead the strategic and operational planning of the Health Information Service including the execution of departmental strategies and plans to enhance the service in accordance with CHQ’s Values and Strategic Plan.
- Plan, organise, direct, and evaluate the operational management of all facets of health information management including Clinical Records, clinical data, Corporate Records, Clinical Coding and Health Information Access services for the whole of CHQ HHS.
- Maintain a high-level knowledge and understanding of developments in health information/records management to enable the provision of expert advice to the Executive and clinicians on matters relating to health information management, Corporate Records management, and patient/clinical information systems.
- Provide strategic advice and support the operational planning and development of health information requirements and functions in line with the CHQ HHS Digital Delivery Program.
- Provide expert advice, knowledge, and expertise, by overseeing Health Information management services, to ensure CHQ’s clinical documentation is kept to the highest standards and meets the requirements of external bodies such as the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC), National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (NSQHS), Queensland Hospital Admitted Patient Data Collection (QHAPDC), Activity Based Funding (ABF), and the Australian Medical Council.
- Accept accountability for coding and data collection deadlines as agreed by the Chief Information Officer.
- Lead and manage a team of professional and administrative personnel ensuring a commitment to training, development, and performance appraisal to achieve high standards of service.
- Ensure the CHQ HHS Patient Administration System and the integrated electronic Medical Record (ieMR) is managed and maintained for accuracy, timeliness, quality of data, and adherence to Commonwealth and State data requirements and standards (i.e. National Minimum Data Set).
- Accept accountability as the Data Custodian for CHQ HHS and the management of requests for the release of patient information for the purposes of research under the Public Health Act 2005.
- Oversee the strategic development and management of clinical forms for the CHQ HHS.
- Interpret and provide advice on legislation, regulations, and other guidelines which impact the operation and functions of patient data collection and reporting, including privacy guidelines, release of information, and confidentiality.
- Oversee the coordination and strategic direction of clinical coding and documentation audit and health information liaison functions ensuring quality documentation and timely completion of information in an Activity Based Funding environment.
- Manage the performance appraisal and development of subordinate staff
- Provide ethical decision-making in the achievement of organisational goals
- Actively participate in a working environment supporting quality human resources management practices including employment equity, anti-discrimination, work, health and safety, and ethical behaviour.
- Develop a positive culture within the Division which encourages and recognises high performance, builds leadership capabilities, and supports staff to maximise their health and wellbeing.
Position Reports To
The Director, Health Information Services:
- Reports directly to the Chief Information Officer
Staffing and Budgetary Responsibilities
The Director, Health Information Services:
- Will have line management responsibility as per the attached organisational structure.
- Will have delegations in accordance with the CHQ HHS Delegations Manual for financial and human resources.
Qualifications/Professional Registration/Other Requirements
- Tertiary qualifications in Health Information Management and/or equivalent experience in a similar role(s) for 8-10 years.
- While not mandatory, eligibility for membership in the Health Information Management Association of Australia (HIMAA), will be highly regarded.
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed on your ability to demonstrate the following key attributes against our values. Within the context of the ‘Your Role and Responsibilities’ described above; the ideal applicant will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing a Health Information Service providing Clinical Records management, Clinical Data management, Corporate Record management, Clinical Coding, and Health Information Access services, including the ability to plan, direct and evaluate services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health information management systems, including patient information systems and clinical classification systems, with experience in analysis, implementation, and management of these systems.
- Demonstrated effective negotiation, consultation, and interpersonal skills with the ability to provide high-level advice at the Executive/Senior Clinician level.
- Demonstrated high-level commitment to quality improvement with expertise in the implementation of quality management strategies and achievement of required accreditation standards.