- Posted by: Andrea Gall
- The THS Clinical Coding team is a State-wide department responsible for the accurate and timely classification of public inpatient episodes of care across Tasmania. We code a diverse and interesting casemix drawn from 4 main hospitals (Royal Hobart Hospital, Launceston General Hospital, North West Regional Hospital and Mersey Community Hospital) and 8 district hospitals and smaller facilities across the state. Our team consists of a small Clinical Coding Management team, Senior Coders, Clinical Coders and Trainee Coders located across the state.
- Our key team values include quality, flexibility, respect, trust and growth
- We proudly offer flexible work locations and patterns where available
- We can negotiate a relocation package for interstate applicants to the value of $15,000. Further details available on request.
Under the guidance of the Clinical Coding Management Team, the Senior Clinical Coder - Auditor/Educator will:
- Develop and undertake regular clinical coding quality audits in accordance with the Agency’s Clinical Coding Auditing Framework
- Providing clinical coding training and education activities to the Clinical Coding team as well as support and mentoring to the clinical coding team members, including trainee clinical coders.
- Prepare and deliver clinical coding related education and training activities to the Clinical Coding team.
- Provide support and mentorship to new and existing Clinical Coders, including the provision of clinical coding training to newly qualified and trainee clinical coders.
- Assist the Clinical Coding Management Team with the provision of clinical coding, DRG and activity based funding education to clinical and other hospital staff, as required.
- Undertake accurate and timely clinical coding of inpatient separations in accordance with Hospital, State and Commonwealth data standards and reporting requirements, for the purposes of:
- Australian Refined Diagnosis Related Group (AR-DRG) assignment for Activity Based Funding (ABF)
- Inpatient activity reporting
- Clinical and non-clinical research and casemix analysis; and
- Patient care quality improvement
- Adhere to the Independent Health and Aged Care Pricing Authority (IHACPA) guidelines whilst utilising the current edition of the International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Australian Modification (ICD-10-AM), Australian Classification of Health Interventions (ACHI) and Australian Coding Standards (ACS).
Note: - Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
Details of Appointment:
One position - permanent, full time, day work, position working 76 hours per fortnight.
One position - Fixed term, full time, day work, position working 76 hours per fortnight, commencing from 5 March 2023 until 4 February 2026.
*notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant
- Applicants should note that, for a period of twelve months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar full time and part time vacancies.
Hobart, Launceston, Devonport or Burnie
Base Salary: $92,615 to $97,152 per annum + 10.5% superannuation
- Salary range is in accordance with Public Sector Unions Wages Agreement 2022
Applicants should note the following criteria are desirable:
- Clinical coder certification as approved by the Health Information Management Association of Australia
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent qualification
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction checks in the following areas:
- crimes of violence
- sex related offences
- serious drug offences
- crimes involving dishonesty
- Identification check
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
How to Apply
Please note that our application process has changed. Refer to the application guide for information on the new application format.
Apply Online. Please click here and click the blue "Apply now" button. This ensures important questions about you are answered.
You will be prompted to complete a 1-2 page application detailing your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the attached Statement of Duties.
- We do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria in the Statement of Duties.
- All attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so make sure you have the contact details of two referees before applying.
For More Information
Statewide Clinical Coding Manager
(03) 6777 6545
Health Information Manager – Data Governance and Oncology
(03) 6777 6545